emh

Adventures in Learning Film Photography

Reflection #7: Exploring Modality

I had never been introduced to the idea of modality until I entered my undergraduate degree. My formal education had always taken place in the world of face-to-face and I had never thought about how it could be done otherwise. I found myself creating my own interpretations and biases surrounding online learning. I thought of it as something foreign, that would never work for me because I needed the social pressure of the in-classroom experience. I was pessimistic of the ‘other’ modalities. In my third year, I took the plunge and signed up for an asynchronous online course on Shakespearean Literature, and needless to say I loved it! There were weekly tasks but the flexibility was enchanting. To not have to walk to campus, stress over finding a seat or feel my social anxiety bubble below the surface. I wanted to take more courses like this, but unfortunately my program requirements were only offered face-to-face. And so I was resigned to the world of lecture halls and seminar rooms.

Now, however, modality has become the forefront of my education -though not at all on purpose. The pandemic has forced nearly all post-secondary programs to go digital and virtual. Asking educators and students to explore the relationship between modality and technology, to ask questions and reflect on how we access learning. What only some knew before has been exposed to all: education does not only have to be accessed one way and by all, multi-access can be the new standard. Opting for a multi-access modality enables a level of flexibility and participation that dwindles with only one modality. However, it is not simply the choice of allowing  concurrent access, it is an increased focus on the design and expectations of a multi-access setting.

I won’t shy away from the fact that I’ve faced many challenges while transitioning to synchronous and asynchronous online learning. The biggest of which stems from my early pre-conceived notions of the format: I need a certain level of social pressure. I’m finding that on most days I crave being in the physical presence of other academics. I need to feed off their studious energy, to feel as though looking at my phone or another tab on my computer has the potential to distract those around me. On the other hand, I think that I’ve experienced a lot of the benefits of multi-access as well, the biggest being that I participate more in class. My concluding thought is that exploring modalities enables us to discover what mode of learning works best for us. I have learned that I need a blended approach, something that unfortunately isn’t available at the moment. As a result, emphasizing our need as educators to get to know our students and remain flexible and open minded to their needs. Utilizing our autonomy over modality and design to further personalize learning and education. Because in reality online learning doesn’t have to be at a distance, and face-to-face doesn’t always mean richer.

Image: Modality is Really About Student Access – UFA https://iteachu.uaf.edu/modality/

« »