emh

Adventures in Learning Film Photography

Reflection #8: Technology and Inclusion

Last semester when tasked to choose an inquiry topic, I took the opportunity to dive into my ever increasing wonderment around reaching every student. My questions led me to explore differentiated instruction and universal design learning, through which I learned about the need to curate an expansive toolkit of strategies.

As Chantelle Morvay-Adams described BCEdAccess, a volunteer run organization serving complex learners and students with disabilities to reach full potential in BCed and all areas of life, my thoughts started buzzing. Could technology be the ultimate tool to reach all learners in a classroom? It has an ever increasing presence in our lives; screens have the ability to link us to people, ideas and knowledge beyond our finger tips. Above all else, when used correctly, and for the purpose of education, technology has the ability to promote equitable inclusion amongst students. But there is a distinction, or I should say there are several options, regarding how technology is used. BCEdAccess highlights the wide range of tech uses for students on an individual, case by case level. As we’ve come to learn there is also the possibility of class-wide tech access. It comes down to knowing your students and their needs, to understanding funding and resources, to approaching education with openness and flexibility.

Chantelle revealed a major barrier blocking the integration of technology into our educator toolkits: the lack of a centralized knowledge centre. Leaving individual teachers to research and share, and leaving parents with little resources to learn how the tech is used. Like any tool we as educators add to our toolkits, there are questions that need to be thought of:

• What is available for students to learn?
  • How can you assess a student’s Technologies needs?
  • What are some ways you can build a relationship with the student? and with the family?

The potential of technology feels limitless, however the reality of the access barriers remain a struggle. Nonetheless, as a tool, I think technology is something that all educators should have in their toolkit to help them reach every student, as a means of support and learning.

« »