emh

Adventures in Learning Film Photography

Reflection #3: Inquiry-Based Learning

This week we had the pleasure of having Jeff Hopkins as our guest lecturer. As he spoke and answered questions he painted a picture of the potential we have as future educators. Highlighting the importance of implementing inquiry and interdisciplinary learning in our classrooms. The need to perpetuate authentic over artificial autonomy, because students’ autonomy and agency can and should be first and foremost.

After I closed my computer at the end of the meeting, I sat reflecting on my own lines of inquiry. The situations in which I have decided what is important, identified how I work best, and defined what it is I wanted to learn. If I were to list them for you here today, few if any occurred while I was in elementary school, let alone secondary. They were instances of self-instruction and passion projects, with a sprinkle of university level creative assignments. In truth my experience with inquiry-based learning is limited to the realm of artistic endeavours. What Jeff has helped me to understand is that my lack of direct experience does not have to be a hindrance; only I can box myself in. That being aware of my own tendencies and patterns can be an asset when building a supportive learning environment. Because, education is not about getting every little detail perfectly, it is about meeting and perpetuating the intentions of the curriculum.

« »